- all Virtualdub Filters located in the same directory as VdubRTFx.fex are automaticaly included into the Studio 9 effect list. No need to have VdubRTFX.fex for every filter anymore.
- the settings for the virtualdub-filter are defined via an XML-file with the same filename as the virtualdub filter and the extension .XML
- support for the Studio 9 help button
- title and category can be changed according to your needs in the XML-file
- Support for Studio 9.1 - no watermarks!
- integrated simple RGB-filter
- support for 2-pass-filter e.g. deflicker filter
- support for Liquid Edition 5.5
VirtualDub, created by Avery Lee, is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Liquid
Edition or Studio 9, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video.
For VirtualDub over 100 video filters are available. These filters use a special interface similar to the RTFX-interface Pinnacle is
providing for the Studio 9 and Liquid Edition Video editors. A description and the sdk (software development kit) for developing such VirtualDub filters can be found on http://www.virtualdub.org/filtersdk. A list of nearly 100 virtualdub-filters is available on the virtualdub-filterlist page.
The “VDub2RTFX-Plugin” is an converter or shell that allows the integration of filter written for Virtualdub into the Studio 9 videoediting software.
- Search the installation directory of Studio 9.
Normaly this is C:\programs\Pinnacle\Studio 9. If you installed Studio 9 on another drive or directory you should remember where...
- locate the directory ..Pinnacle/Studio 9/Plugins/RTFx.
In this directory and the subdirectories you will find a lot of RTFx-Plugins with the extension “.fex”. To separate the
virtualdub filters from the pinnacle plugins it is a good idea to create a new subdirectory under the RTFx directory i.e. “vdub”.
- Download Vdub2RTFx.FEX and copy it to the newly created directory “...Pinnacle\Studio 9\Plugins\RTFx\vdub”.
If you now restart Studio 9 you will find a new category “HL’s VD-Filter” in Studio 9’s effect filter list.
In this category you will find a new entry “_VDub2RTFX(V1.0.1)”
This entry should only show you that you have installed the VDub2RTFX-plugin Version 1.0.1 . The filter behind this entry
is a simple RGB-Filter .
Following additional steps are neccessary to add other virtualdub filters.
- download a virtualdub-filter and copy the .vdf file (e.g “logoaway.vdf”) to the “vdub”-directory
- download the “dummyfilter1.xml”-file into the same directory and rename it to the name of the vdf-file e.g. “logoaway.xml”
- open the xml-file and replace “dummyfilter1” with the name of your filter e.g. “logoaway” - this is the name that will be shown in Studio
- In the xml-file under the Entry “Compatibility” you find some parameters where you can adjust the behavior of the filter
and improve the compatibility. For most of the filters the standard values should work. see the XML-File
- Restart Studio 9 and you will find the new filter under the category “HL’s VD-Filter”. If you want, you may change this entry in the xml-file to what ever you want.
- If you would like to add another virtualdub-filter - download the filter to the same directory as the first one and use
“dummyfilter2.xml” or “dummyfilter3.xml”. This allows you to install three vdf-filter. I will provide additional .xml-files for special filters soon.
The difference between the three dummyfilter.xml-files is the GUID (Globally Unique Identifier, a unique 128-bit number
that is used by the Windows OS or by some Windows applications to identify a particular component, application or file). The GUID is used by Studio 9 to identify the different effects.
It is NOT possible to use the same .xml-file with the same GUID twice!!!!
Now you are ready to use the new filter.
For an example how to use the “dummyfilter.xml” see the “logoaway-filter-example”
Installation of Virtualdub-Filters in Studio 9
Prerequisit for using the virtualdub filter in Studio is the Vdub2RTFX-Plugin for Studio.
- First install the Vdub2RTFX-Plugin in the “VdubFilter” -directory, as described above. Further details about the Vdub2RFTX-Plugin can be found here
- Download the selected Virtualdub-Filter. Most of the VirtualDub-Filter are stored as ZIP-Archive (the files loacted in this
list, are the original files from the filter authors). Unpack the archive and save the xxx.VDF - file in your “VdubFilter”-directory. If there is no associated xxx.XML-file available you should download the
“dummyFilter.XML”-Dateien and adapt it to your needs (see “The XML-Filei”) or use the new XML-creator-tool.
Unfortunately not all virtualdub-filters are working with the Vdub2RTFX-plugin .
- Are there one or more xxx.XML-files associated to the virtualdub-filter you should download them to your “VdubFilter”-directory
(The differences in the .XML files are described later)
- Rename the xxx.XML-file to the name if the associated xxx.vdf-file. (You may rename both files to whatever you want, it
is only important that both have the same name and only differnt extensions .vdf and .xml)
- OK. After starting Studio 9 you should see the new category “HL’s VD-Filter” in the effect-list. In this categoty you should find the new effect.
The various version of the .XML-file
The xxx.XML files define the user interface used for maintaining the filter.
The Vdub2RTFX-plugin supports two user interfaces (Virtualdub and Studio) and various languages (english and german)
The Virtualdub User Interface uses the original user interface provided by the virtualdub filter (filename:xxx_v.xml)
- + all filter parameters available
- + better layout of parameters
- - no instant preview of the effect
The Studio user interface provides the Studio integrated user interface for effect handling (filename: xxx_se.xml or xxx_sd.xml)
- + same simple interface as used by other Studio effects
- + instant preview of effect changes
- + english and german version possible
- - dump layout of parameters
- - not all parameters available
- - available only for a few filters
- xxx_v.xml = virtualdub interface-english
- xxx_se.xml = Studio interface - english
- xxx_sd.xml = Studio interface - german